AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - ZJ Fan Clutch for better cooling
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 117 Times in 56 Posts
Default ZJ Fan Clutch for better cooling

Brief: Putting a ZJ fan clutch into an XJ for increased cooling.

Okay so my Chero has never overheated on me but it does tend to cycle the thermo fan on and off in stop-start traffic or while crawling (as is to be expected I suppose). It doesnt worry me but I figure since the majority of the rest of the cooling system is new I'd look into replacing my fan clutch.

I've read some good results from a number of forums regarding using a ZJ heavy duty (not the Max Cooling variety as it does not fit) in XJ's and figured I might give it a shot. From what I can see temp issues seem to become a thing of the past when coupled with a decent cooling system but I'll probably be looking at greater fuel consumption and a lot more fan noise...

The hard part for me is determining which part number to get. I THINK I'm looking at the Hayden 2737 as one option which is available from RockAuto for about $60 delivered so if this is correct I'll give it a shot and post results back here with regards to Temp, Fuel Consumption and Noise.

So anyone able to confirm if this is the correct part number? Or able to post an alternative part number? (I believe the NAPA 272310 is correct also but not available from RockAuto).

Cheers ladies and gents!

References:
Cherokee Forum Link
Naxja Link
XJ Talk Link