AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 2.8L CRD reliability/issues?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

On its own the engine is probably the most reliable part of the Jeep.

Needs good airflow so as stated keep the coolers clean and dont restrict airflow with large spots/winch boxes etc.
The boost hoses were changed from about 2009 onwards, but either way...factory hoses dont like oil and with out blowby fitering they will degrade. So either fit a Provent or the Samco silicon hoses and you should be sweet.
No clutch issues with the auto so thats a bonus.
The way the engine is fitting in the engine bay can be improved with a few Zip ties and spiral wrap. Look for rubbing A/C lines, P/S hoses chaffing on boost hoses, and wiring looms not as secure as they could be.
I spent 4 hours cleaning all this up within a week of purchase and had already found chaffing and wear in a few places.

Long term reliability "should be good" there are a few JK owners hitting 100 000km plus with no engine dramas and I look at the KJ owners with the earlier 2.8 for optomistic reasurance. They are still relatively young in the JK but it looks promising.

For a quick rundown thats all I have, love my CRD and intend on keeping it long term. Hope this helps.

Matt.