AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock God View Post
If you look into it our laws they are not that bad. There are quiet a few category's of licences and if you can proove to the commissioner you can pretty much own any firearm you like. I worked in the NT for a while we could carry a hand gun as we work in remote areas so its a survival aid being as I was a pilot. Professional shooters there mostly have class C I think, most have automatic's in there possession even ex-military gear don't know how legal they were.

So a law that let's you own what you require to do the job and no more seems ok to me.
This must have been a very long while ago. Semi autos are available now as Category C but only to primary producers or professional shooters (ie. pest control) but automatics are strictly prohibited as are handguns, the exception being you can own a handgun if it's for competition use.

The laws are not great but are becoming more restrictive all the time. It's just the addition of new laws to curb gun crime that upsets firearm owners because new laws don't help; criminals don't follow the law. And most of the time the laws themselves are just a hoop jumping exercise to make the public think that the government is actually doing something.

The biggest part of the problem is public perception of the sport.