AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - '06 CRD Transmission in Limp Home Mode
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default '06 CRD Transmission in Limp Home Mode

Hi All

I posted this in the Commander forum, but as the drivelines between XH and WH are shared I thought I'd try here too.

I am currently negotiating the purchase of an '06 CRD Commander Sport with around 130k from a dealer here in QLD. As the vehicle is in Noosa (and I'm on the Gold Coast) I had an RACQ inspection completed, and the report arrived this morning. The following items were listed as defects that need attention before the vehicle should be purchased:

* Wipers - Wiper delay system inoperative
* Engine Warning Light - flashing continuously
* Transmission - appears to be in Limp Home Mode, performance limited, no kick-down operation and will not rev past 3000rpm.

I'm guessing the last two items are related, and I've asked the dealer to have these issues resolved before I even consider going through with the deal.

After googling around it would appear that transmission issues plagued the early Commanders/Grand Cherokees from new, and the causes ranged from old trans fluid and filter, to trans control modules, to pressure switches.

Has anyone here run into the same problem with their WH CRD? The rest of the car received a clean bill of health apart from dirty seat belts and light oil stains on the engine covers, so if they can fix the trans issue (they have a 6 year 200,000km warranty as well) I'll go for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.