AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Engine Oil Capacity....'11-'13 3.0lt CRD WK2
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,147 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
2012 GC Overland diesel in NZ ,always had eight litres put in it since I have owned it,never a problem.Been using Penrite 5w40 Enviro will change to the 10w40 Enviro when next change is due.Also put in half a bottle of Penrite zinc additive ! The independant Jeep guy in NZ I know has been putting it in his two GC diesels for three years ,no problems yet ..he has Rebuilt a couple of VMs,said the width of the main bearing shells was very narrow and the main bearing locating tabs were nearly non existant.He said very little difference in VM motors
from 2012 to 2018.He has fitted a early motor into 2018 with no problems.
Off topic a tad, but I 100% believe the problems with the bottom ends in the VM is the very small bearing width...imo. When designing this engine in conjunction with GM initially, one of the design criteria was to allow the engine to be mounted transverse in the front of any vehicle as well as longitudinally. The engine block was designed very compact.
Hence the importance too of regular oil changes to keep the oil condition tip top.
The bearings' surfaces were increased it appears by increasing the journal diameter...not the width....so given the torque available the bearings will take a hammering over a very small area, and often will break through the oil film and grab the bearing shell...bang goes you engine.