AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Transfer case again. (NP242)
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007
wheeliebin
Visitor

Default Transfer case again. (NP242)

I took my tail shaft off to give it a good grease up today and the clunk on stopping is gone. Thanks again Bowser.
But.........
To take it off I put the transfer case in neutral so I could spin it around to get to the uni bolts. When I was done I just put it back into 2WD and went for a quick test drive down the road. (Car hasn't moved at all while I took it out of, and back into 2WD to do this job.) When I turned out of my driveway the tyres started scrubbing badly and I realised I'm stuck in p/t 4WD.
I did all sorts of transfercase shifting, transmission shifting, and reversing to get it back into 2WD without any luck. It wasn't until I did figure 8's on my paddock that it finally dropped back into 2WD. (I'm feeling a bit nauseous by now.)
What should I check to try to make sure this doesn't happen again? (It hasn't happened this badly before.)
Does it sound like my selector linkage is a bit out?
Was it just binding or wind up that held it in p/t 4WD, or is it some worser than that?!