AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Transmission Oil Coolers
View Single Post
Old 17-12-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well I've semi mounted the transmission cooler in the only place available (once I tossed the original Jeep one) partly in front of the radiator but 90% below sitting in the air flow from the bull bar vent through to the engine bay (via cut outs below radiator), according to Davies Craig line orientation isn't a big deal so this should work relatively well (I hope) and still have sufficient room for an aftermarket (motorcycle) thermo fan if necessary

A few different angles from the camera shoved under the bullbar

Yes you may have noted it's off-centre somewhat... that'd be because of the front chassis "cut outs" the cooler is sitting directly in front off

EDIT: well it's been properly fitted for 5 days, flaring the ends of the pipe sections (with the tip of a closed pair of pointy nosed pliers) and fitting 2 hose clips to every connection (opposing clamp configuration) has been very effective at preventing leaks in the transmission lines... highly recommended, it also appears to be keeping the transmission more adequately cooled with sufficient airflow being directed through the factory bullbar's lower intake venting (mounting in front of a factory frame/chassis cutout would also be contributing to effectiveness)

To maximise the flexibility of this cooler I installed it in series with the existing heat exchanger (located in the hot side of the radiator), thus the transmission wouldn't spend longer below recommended operating temperatures than necessary yet had a greater capacity to reduce the transmission oil before returning to the AW4 transmission, thanks to carvesdodo for the doing most of the graphical leg work

Additional post note: After traveling up to the Victorian/NSW border and back I can say without reservation this configuration made a definitive impact on improving the transmission operating temperatures even in what I would consider extreme sweltering conditions, my method of comparison was as "unscientific" as you can get utilizing the sensor pads in the tip of the fingers, crazy you say? not at all... previously whilst motoring about town the transmission shift lever would get "so hot" as to be untouchable, after the #678 had been fitted the hottest it reached was extremely warm and seeing as the shift lever is in contact with the transmission heat would obviously be radiated though it as well

Future planned upgrades
  • Motorcycle thermofan for #678 (and auxiliary switch)
  • Method of monitoring transmission temperatures

Last edited by tazwegion; 31-12-2009 at 07:35 PM.