AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Gearbox/Synchros
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Its not all manuals that have the problem. Its molly oil additives in trans with yellow metal (bronze etc). The Molybdenum Di Sulphite bonds too well to the yellow metal & when it rubs, it strips the metal off. The sincro is worn away quickly & so the problem you see. The old graphite additives of 70 years ago dont have these problems.
If you can get onto a Lubrication Engineer at one of the oil companies & they know of the issue they can usually recommend a product, normally not one of their high tech/high priced ones. Good luck!
Unfortunately I don't have a Lubrication Engineer on quick dial - and I'm not linked in enough to get oil company contacts I know a few electrical and civil Engineers but that's where it ends heh.

Anyway for anyone that cares as the thing is jerry rigged with an JK softop on it with self tapping screws (meaning gaps between windshield and the top, and the door and the rollbar yet being loose fitting elswhere) it's just been sitting under a car cover for the past month or so... I'll just give it the standard Auto trans III change first when it gets sunny and let ya know how it goes.

One of these days I'll order a frameless Rampage top because even though it's not a daily driver sometimes I want to drive it in inclement weather... you know how it is.