AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Jeep’s Big Aussie comeback plan. Will it work?
View Single Post
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

It will be interesting to see if Stellantis does eventually bring the Wagoneer to Australia (in its current form). It may be a better alternative to a RAM truck for heavy hauling albeit with a twin turbo hurricane engine. I am guessing that they won't bother converting the Wagoneer to RHD just for this market alone. Therefore, it may be that the only Stellantis offering for hauling duties is the RAM.

When Chrysler Jeep hit our shores in the mid 90s, the lineup of the XJ, ZJ and TJ sold well because they were reasonably priced. Pricing remained in reach during the Daimler years and the 3.0L diesel opened up a new market with the Commander and GC. However, the current pricing is not competitive with the traditional diesel crew cab Utes and their extensive dealer networks not to mention the emerging Chinese ute and 4wd lineup.

I think Stellantis needs to look at the basic Jeep offerings of the mid 90s. Too much tech and electrification will burn buyers pockets when the cars are out of warranty. Resale may be an issue.

The Jeep dealerships are disappearing quickly. I remember a time when there was a stand alone Jeep dealer in Broken Hill (mid 90s). I don't know what it's like near other state capitals. Since I last checked, there is no dealer in Bathurst or Penrith now. It is a Jeep dealership dead zone between the existing dealers in Orange and Parramatta. Hardly inspires confidence for a prospective Jeep owner who lives somewhere in between to buy a Jeep if there is no local dealer service available for warranty work - especially for cars that are over loaded with screens, and electronics.

Meanwhile, in a mid sized country town near me, the Ford dealership can't replenish its Ranger and Everest stock quickly enough. Sales are going gangbusters. There is new stock appearing every week, and they are no longer bothering to put trays into the Rangers, they are bare with their ladder frames. The town's Toyota dealership is doing fine with new Hilux and 70 series, keeping a healthy stock of used Utes.

Last edited by eksjay; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:20 PM.