AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Gearbox and transfer case question
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
The 98 probably will have the older style box. I get the codes mixed up. My 2001 has the newer one, my older one has the older box. the electrics are different ~ reverse light switch etc need to be changed to suit your wiring. The 2 boxes look different from the outside. Its the later 6 speed box not used in XJ's that needs to be avoided. Sorry I cant offer more help. They are both a pain to take out. if you are make sure you take out the adapter & replace all the O rings, especially the one on the end of the cam. Some of the O ring sizes are given in the parts sticky. Please add to it the sizes of the ones you use. its a good idea to check the adapter housing to make sure the surface around the cam end is flat as around the bolt holes can deform & cause the O ring to not be compressed properly & leak.
Good Luck !
Cheers Layback
A guy with a 2000 wrangler wants to buy my gearbox and transfer case from my 98 turbo diesel xj as I have it up for wrecking since blowing the rings .. in your opinion is $450 far to cheap for the gearbox and $350 to cheap for the transfer case? ... I can't find any for sale to compare to they're both in good condition and tight?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk