AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TJ: Faithy's TJ with Patrol diffs and dual transfers...
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts

Seen some GQ Patrol diffs come up in good condition and at a good price so jumped on them. GQ/GU Patrol and 80/105 Cruisers have a driver’s side front diff which will work nicely with the D300 transfer case so it seemed like an obvious choice..

Let's get this out of the way first... why Patrol diffs over Danas:
-Price - $400 for a pair of GQ diffs in great condition;
-Strength - Patrol front gears are stronger than a D30 and D44; Patrol king pins are stronger than D30 and D44 ball-joints. However, a D60 front and/or rear is stronger in almost every regard;
-Availability in Australia;
-High pinion rear is easily/cheaply possible for Patrols. Helps with rear shaft angle when running a flat belly and dual transfers!! Not as strong being run on the coast side of the gear but they've survived on V8's running 37's for a couple of years; and
-More easily shaved for better ground clearance.

That’s my reasoning anyway and I’m sticking to it! I had a HPD44 and rear D60 but flogged them off. I know most US-fanboys get a hard on for them but, for my needs, the Patrol diffs seemed hard to go past. I’ve got some chromoly front axles, a front locker and a .7mm shim for the rear LSD ready to go.