AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lift and Tyres of your JK
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruju View Post
Got a set that I had been using on my Pajero for offroad only as they were too noisy for daily use. Spent more time off the vehicle than on. Each time I came to use them there seemed to be more cracks. Chunks taken out were from wheeling on hard sharp rocks ie granite.
Rubber, from what I understand, actually goes off or becomes brittle from lack of use.
I reckon my chunks are coming off because of the cracking rather than sharp rocks. If you look at the last picture you can see one tread block with a chunk missing and the block above is pretty badly cracked, next trip out I'll bet that there'll be a chunk out of that block too. I've had a look at the DOT codes on these tyres and they were all made in the 51st week of 2009, perhaps I got a bad batch? There might have been a bit too much Christmas cheer at the Maxxis factory that year

As I said in the post above, I didn't have this problem with the Nankangs on my GQ and they were an off road set that I had for over three years.

In future I won't be running two sets of tyres, like many here I'm over doing wheel changes.