AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK Throttle Controllers
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Like most, the JK's ECU tries to be predictive and smart so it optimizes the fuel and timing for performance when you ask for WOT. These controllers exploit this by starting off at high throttle, getting the ECU to maximise performance a little sooner than it might have otherwise. They also exploit us a little too - the perceived difference in response is bigger because we are feeling a noticeable effect with very little throttle input.

Sure you can do this manually but these throttle controllers make it easy. Everybody gets so hung up in calling these snake-oil that they forget that they are about convenience, not performance.

Anyway, I actually use my iDrive at the lowest economy setting to save fuel (one litre per 100km consistently), stop spinning the stupid Nittos from standstill in the wet and to make off-road throttle control with the auto gearbox easier.

I pre-ordered one of these 4WD Supacentre units and got the email today to say it's shipping. I will post a review and comparison with the iDrive after using it for a week or two.