AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Upgrading D35 axles (with ABS)
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I modded my D44 to take the tone rings. They are just pressed on like bearings. In fact, when I still had the D35 in, I chewed out an axle, and the new replacement axle didn't come with the tone ring, so the old was pressed off, and I used a bearing heater to heat it up and slipped it on to the new axle.
To fit to a D44 axle you first need to machine a journal for it to fit onto the new axle. I had the D35 tone rings I/D bored out so I didn't have to take too much metal off the axle. You will need to also modify the sensor bracket to suit the new diff. All in all it is not a particularly difficult job, if you have the right tools (lathe big enough to fit your axle). I didn't at the time, so I measured it all up and worked out where I wanted the ring to go, and took it to a local hot rod shop to do. They actually commented that they have done this sort of thing before for their hot rod customers. I can't remember the cost, but it was not alot, maybe $100, but I was getting other work done there at the time also. Importantly, the ABS works just like it used to.