AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lake Eyre - the water is coming!!!!
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Folks, I have done many travels around this beautiful country by road, or by Jeep Cherokee, and if there is one place that took my spirit, it was Lake Eyre.

I have done several trips there over the years and I can say that there is something about it that keeps me coming back. I have walked on the dry salt crust, and I have seen it with water. I have camped on the shoreline, and been the only soul between the grandeur of THE LAKE, and the UNIVERSE on some days.

Here is a link to one of the latest media reports with the progress of floodwaters from Queensland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/2498207.htm

If you are looking to do a spectacular drive, keep checking on the progress of the floodwaters. Get yourself a Desert Parks Pass, and plan a trip over there in the coming months.

The Oodnadatta Track or even the road north to Maree can be negotiated by a road car if the weather has been kind to the area. The road through Muloorina Station can be done by All wheel drive (F/T 4WD) usually - and even between William Creek to ABC Bay, but you will need a bit of Ground Clearance if going into ABC Bay [no problem with Jeeps]. If the weather has been nasty to the approach tracks, particularly ABC Bay, then P/T 4WD might be needed in a couple of wash-aways. Check with local authorities before proceeding.

It is nothing difficult, particularly in the autumn-winter time. If you plan to go in Feb-March, make sure you are well prepared, and I stress to check with authorities.

Every Australian needs to visit THE LAKE.
Lake Eyre in flood times....I'd like to see that. So different to FNQ.