AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Servicing the 3.7
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default Water pump and coolant

This was a BIG job, and so $%#@ frustrating!!! But well worth it especially seeing how bad the rubber seal was on the old one (see the pics attached.

Now there is a scheduled maintenance page in your owners hand book, but i do all my servicing anyways so I figured it was time for a major.

Now depending on the model of your jeep kj you may or may not have the extra fan attached to your water pump. From what I've read and seen some do and some dont. This is a pain in the bum to get off especially seeings you need a specialized tool (spanner wrench 6958 and adapter tools 459 something or other). Basically you need this tool to attach to the water pump to hold it still to losen the fan attached to it with a size 24 spanner, it works much the same as taking the blade of an angle grinder. So I wondered around a tool shop looking for something similar as I either have to order it in from the states and wait or wait for the dealer to get one in stock..... both options were expensive, I found a $24 fix it tool hahaha.

Attached are pics of the old water pump note how worn the rubber seal was and where the leak stains were... Just surprises me how resilliant the little kj is.... I also attached pictures of the tool I bought and where it attaches. NOTE: look at the plastic rotation part of the internal aspect of the pump.... IT"S PLASTIC!!! The new aftermarket one I got is cast iron and seems really strong!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079[1].jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	50907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080[1].jpg
Views:	260
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	50908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078[1].jpg
Views:	273
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	50909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081[1].jpg
Views:	262
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	50910  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 03-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.