AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lift and Tyres of your JK
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2014
Established Member

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Goodyear Duratracs in 285 / 70 17's. Been on for about 17, 000 km so far. Used about 2mm of the 14mm tread. Just went uo the beach two weeks ago and it dragged the 1.2 tonne van through deeply rutted soft sand with ease. Great on the highway, barely more noticeable noise than stock, and so far pretty good in dirt and a little mud. Heading up to Land cruiser park in a few weeks and expect them to perform just as well.

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
Thanks man! Any chance I could have a look at yours? As I understand it while you're at work we're practically neighbors? Where do you park? (That sounds creepy! Promise I won't touch it .... Haha!) - I've read good things about the duratracs from my researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoB View Post
I wouldn't say that 33s are large, but to answer your question I think its either 35s or 37s that you can fit onto the tailgate without too many issues, but just consider that weight hanging on your tailgate and all the bumps and thumps you are driving over. I would recommend either a rear bar with a tyre carrier or at least a Teraflex HD tyre carrier that also upgrades the hinges on the tailgate too.

The old adage of spending more to get better isn't always true. So just research thoroughly before you buy. Talk to people who have those tyre on and ask them where they drive - in the mud and sand or just to the local shops.

Overall your decision on size may also be affected by how large you want to go and what "extras" you are prepared to add to the vehicle to "cope" with the new rubber - diff ratios etc. Im one of the lucky Rubicon drivers who can throw on 33s or 35s without having to 'really' worry about ratios.

its a can of worms....
Fantastic! Thanks man! Out of curiosity how come you don't have to worry about the diff ratios?

I'm running a 2013 build / 2014 compliant 2dr sport and will be getting a 2.5" lift soon -- will 33's be okay? Or will I need to mess with gearing? If so, what size could I go and keep the stock feeling?