AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How tuff are Aussie blokes?
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2017
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

Planet Earth.

Earth isn't round, it's almost a sphere. Centrifugal force pushes outwards at Earth's equator giving it a slight waistline.
If you could separate the Earth out into piles of material, you’d get 32.1 % iron, 30.1% oxygen, 15.1% silicon, and 13.9% magnesium.
When astronauts first went into the space, they looked back and based on their observations, the Earth acquired the nickname the "Blue Planet" (70% of the earth's surface is covered in water, and humans have only explored 5 percent of it). Earth doesn't take 24 hours to rotate, it actually takes 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds for the Earth to rotate once completely on its axis, which astronomers refer to as a Sidereal Day.
Standing on that equator you would be spinning around Earth's centre at 1000 miles per hour. At the poles, however, you would be standing still (and turning in a circle)
Gravity is not distributed equally. Yes, you read that right. Places like Hudson Bay in Canada have less gravity than other regions of the globe. This is due to the fact that there is less land mass in that part of the planet thanks both to retreating glaciers on the surface and swirling magma deep in the core.
Although earthquakes are no fun, they are not the only quakes that affect the earth. Moon quakes can actually make a difference in the tides.
Constructed from millions of tiny polyps, coral reefs are the largest living structures on Earth, and contain the highest density of life on the planet, even more than rainforests.
Just to leave you with some parting food for thought, the pacific basin contains half of the free water on Earth and could hold all the world's continents.
And one more thing. The largest single living thing (apart from reefs constructed of multiple polyps) was a mushroom fungus in Oregon that grew to 2,200 acres.

Client to designer: “It doesn’t really look purple. It looks more like a mixture of red and blue.”

An ad for a hedge clipper that I had to read twice: “A built-in safety switch prevents accidental starting, and blades will stop when you take one hand off.”

Scene: Horseback-riding stable.

Mum: Those horses are awfully big for my daughter.

Me: Our horses are very sweet …

Mum: Don’t you have something smaller? What about that one over there? It’s the perfect size for her!

Me: Um … that’s a goat.

Client: The blue looks OK, but it would be great if it was a little more orange. Like “blorange.”

I was working in Army security when a VIP from another base called to ask to whom he should address an important letter. Knowing my tough-to-spell last name would give him fits, I said, “Just put down Sergeant Gary, as my last name is too hard.”

The next day, I received a letter addressed to Sgt Gary Toohard.

A military base commander called to complain that the weather-forecasting software our company created for them kept reporting unexplainable wind shifts. “Do you know where the sensor is located?” my co-worker asked.

“Of course,” he responded. “It’s where we park the helicopters.”

Just because the items in these classified ads are free doesn’t mean they’re worth it:

• Free: Piano with matching bench seat, very good condition, all keys work, probably

• Free: 5 kitchen drawers, all matching naughty pine fronts

• Free rent in exchange for elderly woman

When my customer ordered iced tea, I asked, “Sweetened or unsweetened?”

Her answer: “What’s the difference?”