AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - NEW......T36 Alternator Recall
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
I waited a few days to see if FCA would respond to my last email, which they haven't. There is still no word on when an oem alternator (diesel) will be available through the dealer, FCA aren't talking, and I can't rely on guesses and estimates. As I'm about to do a fair bit of travelling & towing I need some immediate action, so it's time to take an alternative approach. I don't want the risk of being out in the sticks and the alternator gives up.

I contacted US Auto Parts who offered me an oem unit ($1140) for delivery from the US within 5-7 days, apparently they have their own distributor in the US. Or, they could send me a Jaylec ($744) which would take 1-2 days. I ordered the Jaylec and it was delivered to my home in Melbourne within 2 hours - seriously amazing service!. I'm happy to save some money at this stage and can't imagine the Jaylec being any worse than an oem unit. It's the correct 220amp, and Stephanie @ US Auto Parts assured me she had cross checked it with the oem part number and my VIN to be doubly sure. Must say I'm very impressed with their refreshing attitude and service. If anyone is interested the Jaylec part no. is 65-8536 for the WK2 CRD.

To some extent it's against better judgement that I've booked in for the dealer to fit it next week, but 3 local auto elecs I contacted were a little hesitant having never fitted one on a GC. Also, I figure I might have more luck getting reimbursement on a dealer fitting if/when a recall happens for the CRD. Might also get lucky on reimbursement for the unit itself since FCA can't supply one or offer a firm timeline, I think they'd be hard pushed to reject an aftermarket unit. I'll take my chances on that. Fingers crossed that the dealer has a tech who knows what they're doing next week!
With delvery time on that alternator makes u seriously wonder what level of incompetence is going on with Jeep and their spares ordering !!