AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Servicing the 3.7
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Re the transmission filters (at least if you have the 545RFE tranny): one big flat one in the pan, and the small spin on one gets the fluid from the cooler line. Don't forget to change the Anit-drainback valve as well, this stops fluid from draining back into the pan when the KJ is sitting for a while (the most common cause of slow transmission engagement after a startup following a prolonged spell of sitting).
I don't have that transmission: I have this one (42RLE)which was placed on the 05 sports and limited's briefly, lucky or unluckily as I only have one filter... Unless I'm wrong in which case don't tell my missus

The 42RLE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission. The 42RLE comes in 2003.5+ Jeep Libertys. The 45RFE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission, with an alternative 2nd gear ratio for downshifting. The 45RFE was replaced by the 42RLE in 2003.5+ Libertys. The 545RFE is a 5-speed overdrive automatic transmission. The 545RFE was the only transmission available in Liberty CRD models. The Liberty's maximum tow rating with an automatic transmission is Class III 5,000#. Mechanically, the 42RLE has 13 bolts and a straight crossmember, while the 45RFE and 545RFE have 15 bolts and a backwards angled crossmember. Electronically, vehicles equipped with the 42RLE have a 4 connector NGC PCM (Powertrain Control Module) with an integrated TCM (Transmission Control Module), while those equipped with the 45RFE have a 3 connector JTEC PCM and a separate TCM.

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 06-11-2011 at 10:06 AM.