AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - DIY Air tank Options
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Thanx Seacomms for the free publicity! LoL

Hi Guyz
I have copy'd and pasted a chunk from my build thread, - I have to say this little mod is one of my Favs - I used the rattle gun recently to get the nearly seized nuts off a mates tractor and the air chisel to sort out its slasher problems, I love being able to run my lockers all day without having to run my ARB compressor - (I sometimes fill the tank from a servo b4 I air down).

This is a trail only mod - I don't cruise around the streets with the bar charged up so pls don't post up telling about various pressure vessle laws - blah blah blah. ----- I had a mate who is a boiler maker do all the welds and I reckon 100psi in a bar the thickness of mine has little chance to cause any havock - infact I used to have the compressor supply blue line cable tied to the brake lines until one day I heard a little air sounding explosion and unbelievably the brake lines under the bonnet had got so hot that they melted a hole in the line and I lost 100psi in a few seconds - enjoy cheers Hunty

I finally got around to completing a project that has been in my head for years; turn my front bar into an air tank so I can run a rattle gun whilst out wheelin on a tough trail!

I installed my ARB compressor in behind my spare wheel - mainly because under the bonnet of my JK the temperature reaches that of Satans BBQ!

I then welded up the ends of my front bar to make it Air tight - drilled and tapped a brass drain plug and installed a quick release air outlet with non return valve.

I wanted to know the pressure so I added a PSI gauge to the right of my steering wheel.

Finally today I charged it up to 100psi (recommended by the manufacturer of my rattle gun) and attempted to get 1 of the wheel studs off that had been rattled on by an intellectually challenged tyre monkey! LoL - so tight that I bent my wheel brace trying to loosen it!

I hope you enjoy the write up as much as I will enjoy having my rattle gun on the trails
cheers
Hunty

ps - the last 2 pix are photobucket videos - just click in the middle of them to watch.