AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Moving from commuter to 4wding. Keep the Jeep or move on?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Moving from commuter to 4wding. Keep the Jeep or move on?

Hi all,

I've got a 2014 JGC Limited Diesel that I've owned from new, love it, never missed a beat. I'd like to get in to some more serious 4WDing and I'm not sure whether I should spend the money getting the Jeep up to spec, or sell up and buy a Hilux or LC 200 series. I spent the last week away with 3 mates, 2 with Hilux utes and one with the Landcruiser 200 series, camping in the Vic High Country. All of their vehicles had lift kits and offroad tyres, where as my Jeep is stock standard

As I'm new to offroading we did a few basic tracks. The jeep was fine on basic stuff but it became clear very quickly that it needed a lift kit and some offroad tyres should I want to go much further as I was often scraping the car in places the others went through with ease. On the last night as we all sat around the campfire, all 3 of the Toyoto owners unsuprisingly suggested I sell the Jeep and invest in a "more reliable" 4WD rather than throwing money in to the Jeep.

I lease the car for work and the lease is up in September, so the options are keep the Jeep, throw on a lift kit, bull bar, tow hooks, rock sliders, and undercarriage protection which will come in around $4K to $6K....or....sell the Jeep and most likely get a Hilux or LC 200. I understand buying another vehicle would require the same modifications, the questions really is should I invent in the Jeep platform.

So rather that asking a bunch of biased Toyoto owners I thought I'd jump on here to hear from other Jeep owners. What are your thoughts? Is the WK2 a reliable, dependable offroader worthy of investing in, or are the other boys right, is the Jeep best left on the tar and basic dirt tracks?

I'd really appreciate your genuine thoughts, I'm not at all sure what to do so would welcome all the input I can get!

Thanks.

Last edited by gjws; 04-02-2019 at 06:36 PM.