AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - The error code wheel of fortune continues - This time P1242
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default The error code wheel of fortune continues - This time P1242

Thought I start a new thread since he other one basically is more or less resolved.
After stitching up my headliner, I wanted to go for a test drive. Initially I thought all is good with the gears but just Saturday the problem came back.
Funny things are that I do not get a error code immidately.

Howerver, last Saturday I suddenly got a new error code P0703 - Brake switch Signal Circuit. And then today I got yet another P1242 - CAN Bus , Message missing from TCM.

After clearig the codes, nothing changed, I still was in Limp mode, but then I switched off parking solenoid or something like this in the WJ Diag app and then on again. Then the Jeep was moving again. I did not get far, since now the Jeep does not shift higher than the 1st gear, even in Drive.
Then the Limp mode came back again, and I could feel when I get close to idle, the Transmission wants to engage but then pops out, then wants to engage again, then pops out. Not sure what this could be.

What came to my mind, is that I might have too much transmission oil. As mentioned my dip stick was missing and I bought a OEM stick. Although it seems to work, I am not sure how precise this thing is. When I took the radiator apart I drained a bit of oil in the hoses as well as in the cooling reservoir, that was not more than 200ml or so. However I added at least another 1L to have the measure of the OEM dip stick in the middle. What are the symptoms of too much transmission oil. Could it be that this is the problem?