AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Fitting JK Unlimited Axles into an XJ Limited
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default Fitting JK Unlimited Axles into an XJ Limited

I've posted this in my build thread, but will also write up any little tidbits in here for people to find. Artec Industries do a complete truss/mount system to fit JK Axles into TJ's, however it's designed for LHD applications only. I'm hoping to be able to use the majority of the truss/bracket system for the front axle, but with a couple of differences for the track bar and steering damper mounts.

I picked up a set of complete disc to disc axles from a mate who had upgraded to Ultimate Dana 60's. It's a D30/D44 combo from an Overland, and had been recently regeared to 4.56:1 ratios. I'll be running the original 18" Overland wheels with road tyres as day-to-day driving wheels, and will pick up a set of 16" or 17" base tyres to throw some 33's on for offroad. I'm planning to adapt the original Wrangler wheel speed sensors to the wiring for the ABS in my XJ, which shouldn't be too difficult as it's just a simple tone wheel.

The JK Axles are 120mm wider from wheel mounting face to mounting face compared to the XJ axles. I've done a heap of measurements to make sure the spring perches are in the correct spots.

Pinion Angle to Spring Perch = 10.3*
XJ Drum face to Centre of Spring Perch = 216mm
XJ Overall axle width (Drum to Drum) = 1539mm
JK Overall axle width (Disc to Disc) = 1659mm
JK Disc face to Centre of Spring Perch = 276mm

Anyway, started the rear axle today. Removed all the old control arm mounts from the D44, cleaned up the housing and welded the new spring perches to the axle tubes after a LOT of measuring. Will also be fitting a Uneek4x4 Weld-on Truss (sitting on the diff in the final photo) to the rear axle before it's fitted to the car.

Dana 35 from my old black sport for reference and shock mounts

Unboxing the JK Axles

Checking the Pinion angle relative to the spring perches on the Dana 35

The Dana44 axle before bracket removal

Mid bracket removal

Just the LCA mounts to go

Leaf Spring perch welded to axle tube

Soon to be Finished Product

I've left part of the bump-stop bracket from the original JK bump stop mounts as it holds the handbrake cable. I'll need to get custom handbrake cables made up, as well as hard lines for the rear brakes. I'll also need to drill and tap a hole for the rear brake line to bolt to, as the original breather now sits under the truss on the left side of the photo.

Now just to play the waiting game for the Artec JK2TJ Front truss setup to arrive, then I can start getting the front mocked up.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!

Last edited by fraz; 27-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.