AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Different wheel sizes for WJ/WG 2004 Grand Cherokee Ltd diesel.
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The original tyres this jeep had as standard were the 235/65R17 , when I bought it it had the Mickey Thompson Baja 5 rib ATZ LT245/70R17, and whilst those tyres are really great on the road and stick like glue to the bitumen, they are absolutely hopeless in the slick clay mud, I had bogged them in my backyard once after it rained and I am only talking about a bit of rain and I just sat there with the wheels spinning as they just loaded up within seconds and wouldn't clear. Very embarrassing just as well I wasn't in public view.

Anyway as my tyres are now fairly worn and I have a 5K trip planned before the year ends, I need to replace them soon, I don't know what I will be putting them through when I head south so I would like to hedge my bets and get some MT's.

As a replacement A/T tyre, I have read good reviews of the Hankook tyres, been looking at the Hankook Dynapro RF10 which I can get in the LT245/70R17 for about $248 fitted.

But I would prefer the MT RT03, unfortunately the MT RT03 doesn't come in my size to fit my Jeep so the closest I could find is a 245/75/R16 ($269) which is rated at 120/116Q or a 265/75R16 at 123/120Q for $235 + $15 fitting Plus I will need a smaller rim for them, I am trying to get LT tyres wherever possible as I tow a 3.5t boat.

I also like the look of the new pattern Maxxis MT764 in the 245/75R16 but that is close to the $300 mark fitted and more than I would prefer to spend, I haven't done enough research into whether or not the above mentioned tyres will fit apart from the RF10.

As for losing a bit of height, having a higher profile replacement 16" tyre should be about the same as what I have now, assuming that it will fit without mods.

That is what I am thinking but it may not work out in which case I will just get the RF10 in the 17" LT size and hope they are better than my current AT's

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Ed..; 14-06-2015 at 10:16 PM.