AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Quick thank you and possible heads up
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2024
Rock Munki

Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts
Default Quick thank you and possible heads up

Like to thank our dear forum member Drover for doing some research for me when 'Gina' decided to have a 'I'm not starting moment' outside the Auto store this morning.
ISSUE:
Depress brake pedal...push start button...everything cycled into action excepting the starter motor.
ATTEMPTS TO REMEDY:
Cycled start cycle several...well LOTS ....of times.
Removed J17 Starter Fuse in TPIM and replace/swap with another 40A fuse from TIPM.
Remove push button insert and try using the manual key.
All didnt not change outcome.
CALLS MADE:
All Grand Cherokee...diagnosis starter motor history, immobilser not disabling, battery not fully charged.
Then I rang me ol mate Drover...could hear the 'cogs' turning. Took some advice and tried it, got a text message stating J17 was the puppy to look at, location of starter motor, possible loose connection at starter motor......bugger...in a carpark, no lift on mine, underbody panels dont allow visual or 'hand access'.
OUTCOME:
WELL...It was a VERY simple 'user fault'...'salt mines' have had me 'using' 'Gina' a lot...horrific use for a diesel WK2...Idling around for loooooong hours...stationary with radio on and charging devices....I thought, possibly, these were the issues....however....I had taken it for maintenance run...80klm round trip to do a burn before changing the oil and fully charge the battery...sooooo...it was 'unlikely' to be battery related...car had performed as per factory specs during the maintenence run so wasnt an alternator or 'mechanical' issue...hmmmm..turns out the 'salt mines' use did play a part in it....'spilt coffee and crud' had gotten into the Gear Selector area and contact wasnt being made....jiggling the Gear Selector 'forced' contact...allowing the 'brain' to acknowledge vehicle was in Park,...and no, no message was displayed on evic stating...vehicle not in Park (as does happen occasionally).but...a VERY simple easy fix.

Now know what the issue was and what to do should it happen again...will take my 'upholstery tools' with me on the 'adventure' planned in a few weeks, and a can of contact cleaner...and roadside centre consol disassembly and clean will take place.....
Heads Up....dont spill or allow drips into the Gear Selector area.

Lots of buggering around for a simple free fix.

ITS ALIVE !!!

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday