AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - towing with a JL....question....
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2023
I just registered

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default towing with a JL....question....

OK I am thinking of changing from a 2007 WK-1 Hemi to a '19 JL Sahara 4 door, 3.6 liter six and the 8 speed auto. In the USA these are rated to 3500 lbs for towing, but I know in Austraila they are rated at 5500 lbs. I have a 20' boat that is supposed to weigh about 3000 lbs and the trailer about 750. However, after weighing it I found it weighted much more than that. The WK Hemi pulls it with no problem, I also used to pull it with our '98 ZJ 4.0 that was rated at 5,000lbs but it struggled. I only have a 1-2 mile drive to the boat ramp and the boat stays in the water all season. So this is a twice a year thing. Thoughts? Anybody there towing with a JL at the limit you have there?
Tow ratings in the US became very much more stringent, probably the most stringent in the world, but they are a manufacturer recommendation not a legal requirement. However, as you know in the USA anybody can sue anybody!