AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Diesel Timing belt change
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Hi all,
I recently did the timing belt change and just thought I’d post my observations for others.
Firstly, this is a fairly simple and straight forward job and is really no different from any other brand vehicle timing belt change – except for the fact that the cam has no timing mark. This is fixed in about 20 seconds with a paint pen. The special “cam tool” and crank pin are not required and the use of which, combined with no cam marks, are probably just to lock you into dealer servicing. You can use a ½’’ socket extension to lock the crank if you like by removing the plug on the passenger side under the intake manifold. A 4’’ extension slides in nicely. But again, if I did it again I wouldn’t even bother with this.
I got my Timing Belt kit and Water pump from JNL Engineering in the UK for about $210AUD and $177AUD, respectively. I actually purchased all serpentine pulleys, tensioner and belts as well because I had a gnarly squeak, total cost was around $950AUD including postage and insurance. Took about 2 weeks. My JK is only for touring/off road driving (i.e. not my daily drive) so for me, $950 is cheap insurance for the next 100k km of remote, harsh operating conditions.
It is up to you whether or not you change your serpentine belt/pulleys/tensioner as I did, these are not critical - but take it from somebody who DESTROYED an engine in his last truck by NOT CHANGING THE TIMING BELT TENSIONER when he changed the belt – it would be very foolish not to! This goes for the water pump as well – it’s 100k to your next TB change and a seizure on any one of these bearing is very likely in that time. For and extra couple of hundred buck why risk it - plus you're already saving a packet doing the job yourself!
In all, and with the serpentine belt/pulley / tensioner replacement, it took me about 7 hours.
The vehicle has done 92k km, bit premature I know, but I was very worried the squeak from the front end was the TB tensioner. When removed and inspected, the condition of the timing belt and tensioner were fair at best, would have made the 100k km mark, but I would definitely not risk more than around 110k 120k. Suggestions that the belt and tensioner will last 160k or 200k or 10 years is crazy – not a snow balls chance in hell I’d risk it!
I’ll write and post up a procedure if I get time.

Last edited by Hayesio; 09-09-2014 at 09:58 AM.