AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 360 AMC economy
Thread: 360 AMC economy
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagonev12 View Post
hi
I blew up my 360 as my dad gave it to me but it always pinged a bit on petrol or gas. Maybe had the very early economy cam, as it always had very high vacuum, higher than all our other engines.
I pull so much timing out of the dzzy by hanging the weights etc and it still pinged. Did the cap and center etc though.
It was always good on fuel compared to the US quotes for economy. The damn thing weighs 3 ton, bloody heavy.
Compared to 351 ltd with the same gas kit the SJ was as good or better on fuel except for local work. Takes a bit to get 3 ton to move.
But this one had the 208 tcase, and free wheeling hubs. So highway it was a 2wd except when needed. 3.7 diffs no monstrous tyres.
But it was comparable for the time with big v8 cars. Though our 253 1 tonner was a bit better on gas but not absolutely great.
The reco engine will have a very mild rv cam, its 20 over and will have a factory 4 b manifold. A demon 4b carb with the old gas system. heads will be standard but I will cut the seats and fit new valves as its been on gas a long time.A rollmaster timing kit valve springs up rated.
The dizzy curves a nightmare for the US pollution / emissions so I have a mallory that I can put the curve in I want for gas.

Ignition is the big elephant in the room. If running gas do not wire as the standard recommends for carb types. USE RELAYS FOR ALL GAS on carbs and ignitions. It made such a difference to all our v8s when I got angry and changed them all. The economy improved on all our vehicles some big time.
Use a bosch or Chev module same wiring but bosch is higher amp rating. You can use the ford dizzy but bypass the module as it is not 12v for the coil as it is resistor coil voltage.Yanks only change the coil but it needs the module to really get the benefit of the coil.
Maybe more then you wanted but I believe the motorcraft carb is much more economical then a holley.But the later 2bs had the altitude bypass which screws with the gas systems that we used. As the mixer is great but are not made anymore. We got them direct over 30 years ago from the engineer who developed them. Much more eco than impco. But i now only have 2, one on the jeep and one on a 351 ltd rusting away
I liked the AMC v8 old school and hard to get bits for now. Picked a dead block up for $60 but the heads were cracked, bored it and it will go into the one I popped a piston on.
cheers
jagonev12
Peter
Thanks Peter, appreciate it.
Wouldn't be using gas unfortunately.
So that 3 tonne Jeep with the 360, what was it actually consuming l/100?

Im hearing different opinions, anything from 16l/100km to 30l/100km on stock wagons.