AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How much should it cost to to replace a diff solenoid?
View Single Post
Old 21-11-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
Realistically how long does it take to drain and open the diff for an inspection? 10-15 min. Then 15 min to inspect? 30 min total to see what's happening in a diff?
Mate, I'm sorry to say but i think you've encountered one of those mechanics we keep hearing about on A Current Affair.
To be fair I dare say the $300 inspection involved more than removing the rear plate. I believe it also required removing the axle and disassembling the hemisphere which is quite possibly a reasonable amount to charge for such work (I wouldn't really know). What I was annoyed about wasn't so much how much they were charging for the inspection itself but rather that the inspection was done at all given how unaffordable the fix was going to be if it was what they expected. I mean given I really wasn't prepared to spend $3000 on a new solenoid (or $2500 on a used one) why do the $300 inspection in the first place?

Now that it's all over I think they really did have no idea how impossible it is to replace those solenoids on their own and they probably did do the inspection not realising it was pointless. I'm not sure if they ended up wearing some of the cost of that inspection themselves or not but the amount I ended up paying was not too dissimilar to what I would have expected had the inspection not been done, so for me it all ended up being fine.

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 21-11-2014 at 11:02 PM.