AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - CRD Thermostat Replacement Question
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2019
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Default CRD Thermostat Replacement Question

This is embarassing, I should know this, and maybe at one time I did but simply forgot, so help me out here please?

I am about to do a coolant flush and replacement with new Zerex G-05. I thought I would use the change to swap out the old themostat for the new one I have in my spares box. The new one has a new gasket of course. I have consulted the Service Manual (Section 7) and it does mention using a new gasket, but it doesn't mention whether it has to be cemented in place somehow or just used dry.
So if you have done this lately, or remember better than I, how do I treat the thermostat gasket (the one between the thermostat housing and the block), does it need something applied to it, or just torque it down as it comes out of the little plastic envelope?

Maybe I will find out when I remove the old one, and can see it it was held in place with something, but it will be too late to go and get something if I need it then. Maybe I go get some gasket sealant before I start?
Advice?

Last edited by glend; 21-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.