AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - is this for real
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I find it amazing that, for decades, our various federal govts, in the interests of encouraging "investment", continue to allow Australians to be ripped off by any corporations that want to do business here. This behaviour is rife, and the Royal Commission into banking and insurance and superannuation nibbles only at the tip of the iceberg. Electricity and gas prices r the most clear example of this behaviour, at the moment.We can but wait to see what the Fed govt will do about this.

In Canada, 20 yrs or so ago, gas suppliers were storing gas in sealed caves and restricting supply, so as to increase prices. In the same country, electricity companies were creating shut downs and blackouts to do the same thing.

Our so-called "authorities" that r supposed to police markets, in the consumer interest, have proven to be toothless paper tigers. They will continue to be so, despite chest thumping over the last few months by the current federal govt. that it will boost their powers and funding and other resources. We have heard it all, many times before.

I think Jeep dealers have been out of control in what they charge for parts and service. The idea that things cost so much because of dealer "import" and "infrastructure" costs has been exaggerated beyond belief: prices charged have been more about greed, pure and simple. I have been quoted up to $280/hr for labour. WTF!! R they lawyers? And why do I need to pay for a service centre with shiny painted floors and unnecessary lounge rooms and coffee machines etc?

My investigations reveal that, while not angels, no other car company/dealers have dared to be so brazen.

The attempt to improve customer support via the "there and back" campaign with an extended 5 yr warranty, initiated by head office, I understand, is an acknowledgement of what I am saying. I note also that there has now been a "softening" of the price rip offs by some Jeep dealers, but they r still dearer than is reasonable..

I decided to vote with my wallet, and to go elsewhere for parts and service. I buy all parts locally from other than Jeep dealers or import them from the USA. Prices can be as much as 1/5th - 1/4 of what I would have to pay here, and that is delivered to my front door.

A quick look at the log I keep re parts etc shows that I have spent about $15500 on parts (wear and tear replacements mainly) and about $4000 on labour over the nearly 12 years I have owned my JKU 3.8. Labour has been kept low because I learned to do a lot of simple repair work myself, and because I went to reputable mechanics, rather than Jeep.

Conservatively, if I had bought all the parts from the Jeep dealer, I would have been up for $60000 and for labour, to the order of $20000. Well, guess what, that's the price of a new V8 Toyota Landcruiser. Or even a new Grand Cherokee V8 with all the bells and whistles.

I am in the market for a new vehicle. I bet you can't guess what car I will not be buying soon.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 24-10-2018 at 07:24 AM.