AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TJ: Faithy's TJ with Patrol diffs and dual transfers...
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts

Bought a Dana 300 transfer case from the US. For those that don’t know, the D300 was put in ’80-’86 Jeep’s. It’s a cast iron case, all gear driven transfer with 2.64:1 gearing in low. It can be twin sticked standard, giving the ability to put it in rear low or do front digs. 4:1 gearsets are available for them as well as 32 spline HD front and rear output shafts. It’s what people say AA modelled the Atlas after.

I decided to run dual transfers over lower gearing in a single case so I can still wheel in sand and mud if I’m feeling particularly redneck. I decided on NWF’s Ecobox-I – it’s a billet case that you put the planetary gear reduction from the NP231/242 etc into and it fits between the gearbox and D300. It’s only 5.3” long too giving my dual case setup less length than a stock NP231. It’ll have 1:1, 2.64:1, 2.72:1 and 7.18:1 transfer gearing - http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-EcoB...ic_p_2666.html. With the NVG370 6-speed and 4.11 Patrol diffs (see next post), it’ll give me a 135:1 crawl ratio. Got a sweet cable shifter from JB Custom Fab in the US.

The potential issue with having a D300 is it has a driver’s side front output shaft. They can be flipped but I’m not a fan of the idea and apparently they leak a shit-tonne.