AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 UHF Radio Install
View Single Post
Old 21-03-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

I'm currently in the process of fitting our UHF - Uniden UH 7760NB - the control unit mounted super simple under the passenger seat in a bracket that looked made for the case - mounting holes and all. Power from a battery isolator under the drivers seat.
The aerial is being trial mounted from the LH side roof bar with an aluminium bracket made to clip into the bar, then clamped in place.
As I plan to only fit up the aerial when we are going away the lead is taken just through the door seal and held in place using sticky cable tie mounts down the door pillar exterior.
The plan looks like it will work, just got to get some clear time to finish it up before we go away on the weekend.

Marc - I noticed in your write up that you suggested switched power is available from the front cigarette power outlet in the cubby, and it seems this works OK for you.
As I thought this was a good spot I discussed it with the autoelec at my dealer and he strongly advised against this.
Reason he gave is that this source is where the Aus fit up reversing camera takes its power when wired up locally with a new harness from back to front. This wiring is part of the canbus apparently and any work on it must be flashed to the system so it expects a specific load.
He recommended that ANY aux wiring be kept away and separate from existing wiring in the whole vehicle because of the potential for canbus conflict and the weirdo hassles that can cause.
Direct to the main battery was his only option.
Hence the reason for my feed coming from the aux side of my battery isolator which is fitted anyway to supply 2nd battery and the fridge plus extra power at the back for lighting etc. I know that supply isn't ignition switched but because the main battery is protected by the isolator I can live with that.

Last edited by JnK; 21-03-2012 at 08:14 PM.