AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Home Brew Steering
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB
I am unsure how the setup works for setting the lock to lock and also the travel of the ram? I that based on the orb?
nah, the orbital will keep extending the ram as long as there is more ram to extend.

the easiest way to do it with an ag type clevis ended ram (if you can physically fit it in the right position) is to mount the ram so that at full extension you are a millimetre or so of one steering stop. then steer the axle so you are a millimetre off the other stop, measure the exposed amount of shaft left, machine a spacer out of delrin or uhmwe (old body lift block), unscrew the clevis off the shaft slide the spacer on, then screw the clevis back on. you now have exactly the right amount of shaft throw.

if you don't have that much room, you can mount the ram so that at full compression you are a hair off one steering stop, then weld a nice big lug onto the axle housing to stop the ram mount on the tie rod at the right amount of extension.

obviously the best way is to have a ram that is already the exact throw you need, but you already have a ram, so either of those methods will work for taking the load off the rest of the system.

the setup on my first buggy wasn't limited, and that in conjunction with the ram being about 15mm off parallel with the tie-rod used to fatigue and stress a lot of stuff.