AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Does you XJ drive like a new car?
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

I have changed very little about the car. Added a leaf in the rear end and changed the shocks to other Bilsteins, new header [last year]. Other than that, nothing has changed [of course the headliner has!!!]. Even the tyre size remains the same. I love the turning circle in the city. I can do donuts whereas my JKU struggles to do a three point turn in a wide street. In fact, I can grab the XJ steering wheel from the scruff of the neck, and throw the car around in peak hour traffic. The 4.0L is immediately responsive, whereas the 3.6L feels like it will follow what you are doing 30 mins later.

The interior looks like a resto job, even though my kids are constantly munching on junk in the back and turning it into the Joker's "trick confetti". The vacuum cleaner gets a work out - original carpet BTW!

The paint job is perfection - when it has to be white. It was once orange [for a long time] after a "wet" Simpson Desert trip.

I have watched others around me upgrade their bubble [gum] cars three times in the 22 years I have had my XJ. Yet, whenever they get into my car, they have this look about them as if they are stepping into something that they secretly dreamed of owning [I am not imagining this]. It is like "I cannot believe I am actually sitting in a REAL JEEP!!! ... wait til I tell my friends" kind of look...

The main attraction of this car is in its redundancy. Something can go wrong with mechanical and electrical equipment, however it is incredibly forgiving. Its computer will not pull you over to the side of the trail to give you the blue screen of death on your outback journey.

Last edited by eksjay; 21-06-2017 at 10:12 PM.