AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Lighting
Thread: Lighting
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

I am at the cheap end when it comes to lights.

130/100 globes in the headlights with relays up front ~ a little like JJ's loom.
I have a pair of 150w Kent sealed beam aircraft landing lights.
They must be 30 years old. because of where I drive, the full lights are on more than 50% of the time.
One of my headlight inserts has been replaced ( a rock hit it) with a Narva replacement insert. Its beam pattern is not as good as the original Cibie on the other side.
Could easily stop in the distance I can see at 120 km/hr.
I am happy with the lights, though the driving lights do light up the trees a bit.
The thing thats good about them is if a stone hits them, its a $20 replacement & they dont get water & dust in on the reflectors. A couple of years ago they would only make $30 on ebay, recently they have been selling for around $200 !

Have a look around & you will find plenty of cars & 4wd's with dirty/damaged lights ~ a big deal to replace reflectors etc.

Most HID I have seen are way to blue, lots of light but you cant see things very well. The roos blend in with the trees.

Have a pair of Cibie 9" super oscars (100w) on another car. They are probably better but they may not last as long off the bitumen.
We have a couple of baby oscars as well. They are not on anything at the moment. They are straight spot. I think spots are good on cars as you have the spread of the headlights to light up around you.

I had never heard of Fyrlyt, they look good, when they have been on a 4wd in the country for 10 years we can see how good they are. Same goes for other lights.