AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Diesel XJ **Parts & Info**
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2022
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Well, changed the clutch slave cylinder today. It went surprisingly well considering the slave doesn't have a bleed screw. Just bench bled the cyl then pushed the line in as my mate was pumping it slowly. Make sure you bleed the slave before fitting the inlet seal. it goes much quicker that way. also a trick I found to get the air out and fluid in quickly was to place the cyl on the bench plunger side down and sorta short stroke the piston about 1cm. its not enough to mess with the nylon retaining straps but it effectively pumps air out and allows the fluid to enter quicker than tapping it with a spanner.

Also at a certain point while bleeding the clutch line it started pissing out and draining the reservoir quick! I think once it let most of the air out of the open end of line it started siphoning all the juice out. was lucky to plug it before it drew air up top.

I reckon you can get away with replacing just the slave cyl a few times before you have to look at a new clutch master. I justified it on the basis that the master wasn't leaking and it's always getting the cleanest fluid fed to it. unlike the slave which is substantially lower (vertically) and at the end of the system. mine was pretty grubby inside and the first bit of fluid that came out was nasty.

TL;DR you don't need to buy a complete clutch setup to fix a leaking slave cylinder. Save yourself about $200.