AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Oil filter housing o-ring
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Screw your new filter off & look at the mounting face on the adaptor, it should be a nice flat machined surface. Clean the surface with brake cleaner or similar, run some fine emery paper around it lightly & clean it again. Look at o-ring on filter, is it distorted out of shape? if it is get the o-ring out of the old filter, smear a little oil on it & put it in your new filter. Before you screw it back on, look at thread in filter & adaptor to be sure it wasn't cross threaded. If all looks good screw it on till it touches then about another quarter turn, too tight can distort the o-ring then start up & look for leak. If you still have a leak you'll have to try another filter. I've only had one refuse to seal (ryco z9) & took it back to repco, they replaced it without question. Repco seem pretty good like that, I got tailgate gas struts for wifes focus from them, gas pressure was so high she couldn't close the tailgate. Went to repco in the car & asked counter bloke to come out & have a look, he came out with a new set & fitted them without even checking the one's I'd just fitted.