AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Low Coolant Alarms
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

You can fit a double din head unit to your 95 XJ.
All head units are the same width, but double din units are 100mm high instead of 50mm.
To do this you need a 100mm space.

To do this, you have to make a square hole in the bottom vent so that the lump in the bottom of the middle vent controllers can drop down into. I cut the hole, made a tin drop down box and then used silver foil tape to seal it. So the bottom vent now had a void that would let the middle panel drop down.

The depth has to be sorted as well, as the head unit will not go back far enough. I had to trim the air vent tubes at the back of the dash. This vents blow air up onto the screen.

You then use the foil to tape up the now thinner tubing at the back..
This gives you just enough room to fit a new double din stereo and wiring..

You then end up with the result below. I have tried various chines all in one stereos. I have had the ones with GPS maps, reverse camera, dvd etc.. and all do the job but are still a bit junky. Sound quality suffers, radio reception etc.

I have a new stereo ready to go in. Its a Kenwood. Has all the fruit except maps. I am going to start using my phone mounted in the car for that anyway.

I will be doing the pod and stereo upgrade together.

The sensor on the Watchdog just goes on the block or thermostat housing. If you loose coolant, heat sink will make the steel rise in temp and send the alarm off. Your not just looking for low coolant, but an engine thats getting overheated. Plenty of Youtube vids on it all. Can't wait to get mine all installed. I did blow an engine in Sweden once, when the temp gauge was broken... cost me a fortune..

Cheers,