AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WJ: Hammertone's Build Thread - '05 4.7HO Overland
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2014
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Hi lifts jacks are overrated these days and rarely useful on a modern 4wd full of plastic and pretty bits, not to mention the lack of safety.

Come alongs/hand winches/ electric winches are all well and good but I wouldn't be getting carried away initially. I've been 4wding for over 20 years and I have only had a winch of any sort (electric) in the last 3. Still haven't got around to recovery tracks but will sometime soon.

If you are starting out with simple wheeling and building up then you only need to do the same with gear but its' up to you.

The things you should be sorting first are snatch strap, maybe extension strap (but not critical), couple of shackles, a rear recovery point like the towbar mounted ones and preferably 2 recovery points on the front. And making sure these front points are actually strong (not sure how they go with the nudgebar). Load equalisation strap is good to consider as it is preferable to snatch or get winched at the front from both sides of the body to minimise the chance of distorting the frame from a hefty one sided pull. A damper blanket is also handy to reduce risk when snatching. Was normally only used when winching in the old days which I never understood but is now gaining more popularity in a snatch operation which makes sense.

Don't forget all these things you think you need take up space and add weight.