AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Transmission Oil Coolers
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
well it better cool like an ac part cuz i aint doing this again!
awwww go on rodge ....

you love the tinkering .....

Finally got round to firing mine up and doing some preliminary checks at idle in the driveway.

Original tranny temps with the stock factory setup ranged from 80'c to 120'c+.

Bypassed the radiator last year and using two of the factory aux coolers ended up with temps of 60'c - 80'c ........ until there was a tow load or a hill and it was back up to 110'c+ and taking ages to cool down.

Indications so far with the PWR cooler are a lower temp and the cooler appears to provide about a 10'c drop across the core at idle. Driving scenario temps to be done later.

Just for interest.....

- 40'c weather temp and as humid as buggery.
- Radiator has been removed/refitted and refilled ... so the coolant temp eventually idled up to 105'c from startup. My electric fan kicks in at 105'c and turns off at 102'c .... so the temp floated 105/102 for a while I checked tranny levels & topped up the tranny oil.
- A can of coke after 4hrs in a good fridge ... 14.5'c
- 60sec at 2000 revs brought coolant temp back to 90'c ... and the max temp after that was 100'c with the aux fan over-ride switch on. Closed the bonnet and after 15min it stabilised at 102'c with the aux fan still on over-ride.
- Hottest coolant temps on the gauge in 12mnths ... but it was idling for 1.5hrs in the driveway.

No apparent effects from the large, heat emitting, oil cooler as yet .... given the conditions and coolant temps comparison with tthe last time the radiator was out.

A test drive when I get some more bits back on it might show different tho ????.

Since Ive finally got my act together ... maybe you other fellas that bought the PWR cooler better dust of your gauges and notebooks ..... so we can bounce some numbers around ????

Last edited by carvesdodo; 03-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.