AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Losing fuel pressure, thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Glad you spotted that check valve anomaly.
You could reset your computer by disconnecting battery, turn lights on etc..
This will reset to factory specs as it may need it with the changes.
Also, replace each bit you removed one bit at a time to see which item affects performance.
To me, it sounds timing related. When I replaced my chirping distributor with a cheap Chinese one, it started popping and ran really gutless. I greased the shaft on my original one, swapped it back in and she purred like a kitten. I then bought another original Sagem dizzy, fitted a grease nipple and fitted that one. Runs beautifully. Each time, I just used the rotor button position as a reference and refitted the dizzy in the exact same position. Your dizzy may be worn, or need shaft regreasing.
Anyway, just another thing to check. Also, make sure the cam sensor is a good one, clean and seated correctly.
Another thing maybe that the single different injector might be upsetting the balance. Check the spark plug on that one too.

Don’t forget to do the TV cable. I thought my 4.0 was gutless as hell. I reset the TV cable and it was like a different Jeep. Google bleeping Jeep tv cable adjustment. Free, five minute instant power mod that I say is critical to performance.

Dizzy mod and tv cable are in my vsb14 thread.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually readjusted my TV cable a few weeks back, it wasn't really out by much at all and it made no discernible difference to anything. A couple of days ago I disconnected the battery in the evening, discharged everything, and let it sit overnight. Hooked it all back up the following afternoon, but it was still running the same sadly.

I followed the instructions in this video to reset timing;
and besides one moment of stupidity involving me trying to start it with a socket and wrench still on the crank bolt, all went just fine Sadly, again, runs exactly the same. The distributor was actually in REALLY good shape, next to no visible wear, no slop, I was actually surprised for 26 years and 220k kms (Jeep has 300k, replacement motor back in 2000 or 2001). Cam and crank sensors I replaced with OEM parts abouuuttt.... 2 years ago? Had a thread on it here actualyl. So I'm starting to feel like whatever has it down on power and running a bit rough / weak, has got to be ignition / electrical in nature. I checked fuel pressure again just to be certain, and it's still holding great pressure and starting INSTANTLY with barely even a single rotation before kicking off, so that part of things seems happy as. I contacted the vendor and they're sending me a new set of refurbished injectors too. I'm thinking I might put my stock units back in and run with those just to be SURE it's not an injector problem that I've added by swapping those out in amidst all my other work...

After 26 years, my stock injectors look pretty cruddy though. Any tips for hand cleaning those? Soak them in a fuel bath, gently scrub off the crap? Orrrr... ? Would love some suggestions

Basically what I have is bugger all power, like foot down LOTS of noise roaring thunder, and barely hitting 60km/h on a slight incline. But once every few months, for a run cycle or two, it'll just go nuts, like a rocket, throw you back in your seat on every take off. No check engine light any more, not even any codes. What I get is that from a cold start, it'll idle smooth, then you'll hear it gradually booogggg dooowwwwnnnn aaaand then pick up again. Then booggg doowwwwnnnn and pick up again, over and over until it's warmed up. It's far less noticeable once it's hot, but once it's hot it's rough, sounds kind of low and depressed, and thanks to my exhaust leaks I can hear it's a bit... ploppy. I pulled all spark plugs today while doing timing, and they're all lightly browned, none more rich or lean looking than the others. Listened to all injectors with a stethoscope, all firing strong and clear as I would expect. Zero vacuum leaks.

MAP sensor? TPS? Whatever it is, it's off enough to be messing up ignition, but not bad enough to throw any codes I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be deep diving into my wiring loom by the end of this