AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Losing fuel pressure, thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
try disconnecting the oxygen sensor to see if anything changes.

also, disconnect and block the vac line going to the the evap canister.

where is the exhaust leaking from?

i too have a set of working but second-hand sensors including PCM and alternator under the back seat. as well as a spark tester, and noid light.

how does it drive if u pull the fuse for the TCM and take it for a spin?

when confronted with bat shit crazy gremlins check the earths
That's bizarre, you read my mind! I haven't been on in a while and have been dealing with that 'life' thing, so I had to put the XJ stuff aside for a bit, but I'm back to it now. 2 Days ago actually I stuck my head under the hood and went into hard thinking mode, and the oxygen sensor was one of the first things that came to mind. I mentioned early on how I would very rarely also get an oxygen sensor malfunction code alongside the TPS or injector misfire codes... I didn't think TOO much of it at the time, as with so many codes being thrown I had suspicions of a wiring issue or one main problem creating a bunch of false errors (VERY used to this sort of thing on the BMW's, one bad sensor will snowball down to 10 codes for 10 unrelated things, it's bizarre how it all ties in together).

So I did my key test for codes, nothing. Fair enough, so I unplugged the O2 sensor, fired it up, and it runs perfect, smooth, not so much as a hiccup. Like, balance a coin on the motor smooth. Let it warm up, took it for a test drive, still gutless as hell (and probably more so with no O2 sensor at all), and as expected smelling pig rich too. I still half suspect it's not JUST the O2 sensor, but for now I'll run with it. Would you agree, just replace it and go from there? Do we have any preferences to brand? Rockauto has NTK, Denso, Bosch, Delphi and AC Delco (AC Delco has a delay). Reading online, half the people seem to go Denso, the other half Bosch, with a whole lot of people swearing the Bosch sensors don't play well with our XJ's. The sensors have different heads too, the Denso being the cylindrical piece with perforated holes all around, the Bosch having the conal shaped head with slits up the length. Just curious

And man, THANK YOU for that ground information! That is beyond invaluable! Many months ago I was digging around online for some basic ground point information and I was surprised how hard it was to get any simple list or diagram, all I could get was random forum posts of people going "Yeah there's a couple of grounds here, couple there, check under the dash etc". Not the MOST helpful...

Thanks again, hopefully close to sorting this out hey