AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

So I've actually been up to quite a bit but I've not really had time to sit and upload the photos, just found a spare 10 minutes to brag and be happy about my custom swing away tyre carrier!

Here's some pics, hit me with questions if you want to.

Looks almost factory from behind...

And from the side. The hinge was made out of a solid steel tube and lathed to accept 2 taper roller bearings (generic size) that can be easily lubed for serviceability (I do have more photos of this if you're interested?)...

The weight of the carrier and what is supporting is transferred to the chassis rail via this plate...

From the left, no need for another ugly, noisy handle/latch...

Custom bracket sits where the original carrier was and the rose-joint and turnbuckles are connected to it, with the other end of them being connected to the back side of the carrier...

Large plates and braces and strong welds hold the wheel mount to the carrier...

The pin on the side of the carriers upright goes right through the upright, welded both sides and sits in another custom bracket (also sitting where the original carrier was) and this fits very tight when the door is closed. It's another aid against rattles and a bit of support...

Overall I'm very pleased with it, really effin' pleased with it in fact!

There was nothing off the shelf that I either wanted or could afford and served the purpose. I've left provisions for a refabricated bicycle rack that can be installed into the upright in sub-five-minutes that will hold 4 enduro bikes, circa 15 kgs each. The wheel and tyre weigh 43kgs, so there'll be about 100kgs on it once I've got the rack and bikes on there and an aux plate with mini light board.

All that's left to do is tidy up some of the welds still, install the gas strut (might put 2 on because of the weight) and relocate the high mount brake light into the hardtop above the window (run the wiring down and into the plug connector for the wiper motor)

I've been over some rough surfaces at speed and there's not a single rattle (time may tell once the bikes are on).

The movement is extremely smooth and when you close the door it all feels tight, strong and positive. You also don't have to slam it, it just closes nicely.

Let me know what you think.

PS - the rear bar is soon to be removed, rubbed back and sprayed to match the front and the carrier!