AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - stalling, fuel pump/relay issues? read this!
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2018

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I know I'm replying to an old-ish thred, but..

Had an issue with my 2012 WK Grand Cherokee last weekend, whereby I went to start, and it fired up, then immediately stalled; tried restarting - continuously turned over, but wouldn't fire; on about the 3rd attempt it fired and immediately revved up to about 3K without me pressing the accelerator, I somehow managed to turn the engine off (not sure exactly how) then restarted, and it was perfectly OK.

Since I bought the car from new, I know this same situation has occurred twice before. So, did a bit of a google, and found that there'd been a recall, related to a fuel pump sensor relay, which according to my local dealer had be retrofitted to my car in 2016 - to be honest I can't remember whether it was, or wasn't, I remember various others, but not this one in particular.

Anyway, the symptoms I'm now suffering from appear to be exactly the same as those that required the original recall to occur. And reading the reply above, it would seem a replacement relay is required.

Question to Grand Cherokee (above): as far as you're aware, has replacing the relay, again, fixed the problem ?

Question: I've not looked for it yet, but how can I identify the "external fuel pump relay", or where is it located ? I've got it booked into my local dealer next month, but if it's simply a case of replacing the relay, I'd rather do it myself than pay extortionate amount of money for Jeep to do it.

Any ideas ...

Kimbo