AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Uneek or Gobi roof rack?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Great information and review! That's very helpful and has confirmed a couple of things for me. If I do go for the Gobi, and I'm leaning that way, I'll contact you about the ladder and mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotrog View Post
I bought a Gobi Stealth from a mate 2nd hand, to be honest the "new" prices even when on special scare me!.

I researched the Gobi, Uneek and the Rhino Rack back bone.

Besides the use for loading up when going away, mounting the awning to it for day trip bbq's in the middle of nowhere was a big necessity which ruled out the Rhino Rack as in summer I run the soft top.

Researching between the Gobi and the Uneek I found them both to be made to very high standards and the quality was faultless between the two, (I'm a member of MJOC and it's easy to compare between them as several members have them).

I'm still disappointed with both of them that the front panel insert is an "optional extra", that IMHO is a load of crap.

The weight of the rack as well as the weight load bearing of them is a major concern as I can carry a decent amount up there.

Offroad performance was also taken into consideration as I wasn't going to be removing and reinstalling it every 5 minutes and it needed to be painless whilst driving up to and including double black tracks.

Mine came with the quick release brackets but it'll take and extra 2 minutes max with a spanner to remove the bolts to change roofs.

I ended up with the Gobi because it has a higher load carrying capacity, I like the one piece main section of the rack, (the Uneek rack main platform is a 2 piece unit held together with several bolts), the Gobi platform is slightly wider and comes with a rear mounting system that doesn't require drilling into your rear bar as standard.

One little thing that has helped a lot with the Gobi is they have drilled some holes and inserted small rubber grommets to allow you to run cable internally through the tubes of the rack for external lighting. This save having cables ties everywhere and just makes the finish a little nicer.

The Uneek is better in some areas such as it has pre-drilled holes for mounting an awning, (you don't need to buy extra mounts), is slightly lighter, (but has a lower carrying capacity) and is Australian designed and made to a very high standard.

The Gobi I bought came with the freedom panel insert, quick release brackets, LHS & RHS ladders, awning brackets and hi-lift jack mount, (which are quite expensive to buy even when on special).

I helped a mate install his Uneek rack a couple of months ago and they are good racks, very well made and work well but I'm still not sold on the main platform base material or the main platform coming in 2 halves and having to be joined with high tensile bolts.

If you do end up with the Gobi and are after a LHS ladder and a high lift jack mount at a good price send me a PM!
Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee