AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Drum brake issues
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2019
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
Get a pic of the correctly assembled brake assy from a service manual to ensure the auto adjusters are in the correct side and direction.
Also the comment about the brake shoe location is important as most assemblies have a leading and trailing shoe. Also check the return springs are still in good shape and correctly located.
Drum brakes have been around since adam was in short pants and they are very reliable and almost always trouble free. Almost every car on the road used drum brakes all round until the mid sixties and rear drum brakes were most common until the mid eighties, and some makes still use them today. They are inherently no more troublesome than disc brakes but can cause problems when incorrectly assembled.

Life saver, I went through the 1700 page online version of the service manual and the adjusters were on the wrong way around, I think a previous owner and or mechanic must of done this.

I also applied some brake grease and she is all good. Thanks for the reply guys appreciate it.