Trying to Figure out What is Wrong with the 99 Sport - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-10-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Question Trying to Figure out What is Wrong with the 99 Sport

Here we go again ........ at least its not my 96 limited this time
I finally got the 99 over here its had a funny feeling in the front when turning so it hasn't been driven for a few weeks ...... waiting for me to finally get a TPS in the 96 and get it going.

As in my other thread I said the front wheel felt wobbly when turning but I noticed it drives fine in a straight line BUT! it felt like it was stuck in 4x4? the dash light said it was in 2wd but a few weeks ago we put it in 4x4 to pull the PT out of some mud the selector lever was really stiff going in and out of 4x4 I engaged and disengaged 4x4 today in the yard while going forward and in reverse the lever is now easy to operate but it still feels funny I am going to pull the front wheels off tomorrow for a investigation is there any easy way I can tell if its in 4x4 or not?
........................... Second issue

After bringing it over here approx. 851 meters by the GPS
I noticed it had built up pressure in the radiator while the coolant was still cool ? it has a new radiator hoses and thermostat fitted recently under a 100 ks it is loosing coolant and looks like the welsh plug at the rear is weeping the oil looks good and there is no white smoke but I wonder if it might still be a head gasket. How hard is it to change the welsh plugs on the 4 litre
looks like I got a bit to do on the 99 now

Last edited by Jimmyb; 27-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 23-10-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

There is a welsh plug in the back of the head. It is known to fail. Impossible to do with the head on. I would buy a VRS gasket set from rock auto and just do it. It's not that hard. Punch some holes in a cardboard box and keep all the head bolts and pushrods in order.
As for the 4WD bit, jack up the front end and see if you can turn the driveshaft with a bar through the uni's. Or drive it on something slippery and dump it. Have someone watch the front wheels. The shifter linkage can be troublesome.
Old 23-10-2016
AJOR Bronze

cheers rusty I will check it tomorrow
Old 24-10-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Dont just do the 4WD/2WD changes in the yard over a short distance. As I said in the other post, go out on the road and do at speed (40kph) It can take a while for it to change into 2WD if it has accumulated a fair bit of transmission wind up. Do the change into 2WD and leave it there whilst driving - you will find it will eventually shift.

Cheers.
Old 24-10-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Alas, there is also a Welsh plug on the back of the motor behind the bell housing.

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 26-10-2016
AJOR Bronze

transfer case fluids check!
went out the bush tracks near the dump and shifted between 2 and 4 did some burnouts and got it unstuck then it got stuck again and then freed up again and then stuck again but it comes unstuck after a change on the move back off then gas it a bit temps were good 98/100
but it looks like the rear welsh plug under the headers is leaking
that's going to be fun looked at a few youtube vids we might just send it to the mechanics for that one too much for me that job lucky its not my car and I don't have to pay for it $$$$$$$$$$................
got a second hand electric rad fan to fit now the old one is chewed around the blades must of rubbed on something
I must say even with all the trouble I have had with my 96 it drives better than the 99
Old 27-10-2016
AJOR Bronze

got the fan had to change the plugs over all good BUT! I cant get out of 4wd tried everything anyone got any ideas?
Post New Thread  Reply