Overheating - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Hi, I tow a 3 tonne van with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel. recently whilst travelling in 30+ degrees, any; even gradual, climb resulted in the Temp gauge climbing to actually past the last mark into the red. Fortunately it would quickly recover. Because of the outside temp I had not put the A/C on thinking that would help. At one point I put the A/C on and it seemed to improve in that the gauge only climbed to the mark and not into the red. I've noticed that even when not towing the gauge will readily move up on climbs. Previous vehicles (Pajero's 2) basically didn't change the gauge under even the hottest days, towing or not. Any comments?
Old 18-03-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well that was an overwhelming source of info. I was just wondering whether I had a specific issue or had others experienced similar.
Old 18-03-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Take it back to jeep and report the conclusion. If it's any saving grace I have found that jeep temp gauges aren't hiding anything. For example I have a galant vr4 (Mitsubishi)as a track day car and its water temp gauge doesn't budge from dead centre until it's at 115+.

3 tonnes is a big van not many people on here tow anything that heavy, that's probably the reason for no replies.
Old 19-03-2016
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Overheating

If it's over the legal towing capacity Jeep may not want to do anything about it.
Forgive my ignorance on these models but what is the stock transmission cooler setup? Is there a larger one as part of the tow pack and does it run through the radiator first?
The gauges don't tell the exact temp you'll need an OBD2 reader for that, you can get an ELM327 Bluetooth dongle and an app for android or iPhone. It may also report transmission temp which is important to keep your eye on.
Do you drop it down a gear or two for hills? If not, you're putting unnecessary strain on your transmission.
If you are doing this and it's still getting hot then it may be time to upgrade the transmission cooler.
Where are you located? Murchison in Qld really know their WK2s and may be able to recommend an upgrade.
Also this post is in general and may get more traction in the Grand Cherokee section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-03-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal View Post
Well that was an overwhelming source of info. I was just wondering whether I had a specific issue or had others experienced similar.
You need to provide more information to get a meaningful answer. Is this a new issue? Have you done these roads in the past and not got it warm? New mods?

Note on most cars there's a difference between warm and overheating. Warm on hills is normally ok. Obviously overheating isn't.

First thing I would do would be to thoroughly clean the radiator even if you think it is clean.
Old 20-03-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal View Post
Hi, I tow a 3 tonne van with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel. recently whilst travelling in 30+ degrees, any; even gradual, climb resulted in the Temp gauge climbing to actually past the last mark into the red. Fortunately it would quickly recover. Because of the outside temp I had not put the A/C on thinking that would help. At one point I put the A/C on and it seemed to improve in that the gauge only climbed to the mark and not into the red. I've noticed that even when not towing the gauge will readily move up on climbs. Previous vehicles (Pajero's 2) basically didn't change the gauge under even the hottest days, towing or not. Any comments?
First of all ~ welcome to the forum.

I am surprised that you had no problems towing up the same hills at the same speed with a pajero.
Would be useful to know your location as members would be able to suggest who to go & see.
Old 21-03-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

[QUOTE=wjlimited
3 tonnes is a big van not many people on here tow anything that heavy, that's probably the reason for no replies.[/QUOTE]

I tow my boat at around 3300kgs at least once a week and have done a few long trips through windy hills and not had a problem touch wood.Have had it loaded to 3500kg and loaded car just under the gcm on a weigh bridge before i left.

Without going into radiators and thermostats and problems like that i assume the vans bearings and braking systems are all good and not adding any extra drag?

What sort of revs are you getting going up the hills and towing normally?

Cheers
Vinnie
Post New Thread  Reply